nostalgia

What is nostalgia? According to the dictionary, nostalgia is the sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal association. Personally, nostalgia is hopping on the journey to re-visit the past. Most importantly, it is the journey of re-discovering what made you-YOU. Working at Coledale Public School this month, it has surely been nostalgic...From the moment I first stepped into the building and put on the "volunteer badge," I smelled the rubber stairways, heard slamming lockers and hear the chatters of young kids. However, beyond the actual movements and sensory stimulation, I was reminded of the blood/sweats/tears that created my elementary school experience. I was brought back to the defining moments that shaped my personality and drive. Here are some of the significant memories that have re-surfaced in my mind:

  1.  Where I found my drive. In the science room, I remembered testing my popsicle stick bridge and talking to Mr. Calleri about the importance of striving for perfection. I was never satisfied with anything but perfect. My work ethic made me strive to write a better essay, construct a better presentation and achieve a better grade. In the music room, I remember talking to my closest classmates about achieving "Honours Arts/Honours Academic," extracurricular points and subject awards. The desire for academic excellence shaped my drive to always do my best. At Coledale, I learned that goals were not meant to wither away, but to be achieved. We can celebrate victories, but not for too long, because there is always a new goal awaiting in the corner. As Gen, Carissa, Rachel and Sandhya worked hard, their dedication inspired me to do the same. In 2019, I owe my feisty academic drive to my former classmates and to this school, as I continue to strive to reach new intellectual boundaries.
  2. Where I developed my vocation. In room 201, I remember the first days of school...the week where I realize that I am not a very adaptable person. Crying to my grade 5 teacher, I spoke to him about having trouble finding friends and adjusting to a new environment. He gave me a hug and told me that he was adjusting to his new workplace too. In room 204, my grade 6 teacher read to us daily and captivated us with stories and life advice. We learned how to take notes and see this complex society. In room 205, I learned how to be a good editor and exercise my creativity. In room 209, I learned how to set up my notebook (a format I still use today) and to see history as a partial story. Through wild adventures, low test marks and marked-up essays, I discovered a passion for education. Without a doubt, I wanted to help young individual building important skills for their future career, enjoy learning and possess a critical, unique view of the world. I wanted to have compassion for the weak, offer comfort for the lost and challenge those to achieve academic excellence.
  3. Where I learned that the world is not just full of "good people." Walking up to the second floor, I look at the 5th and 6th locker beside room 201 and I remember two girls taking bad about me. Behind the stage right stairs, a girl asked me why I don't have "summer socks" and gave me a face. I quickly learned that this world is far from perfect..but that it is okay. One must build resilience and learn to face adversity head first. When you are knocked down, brush the dust off and begin running again.
  4. Where I learned to be a good friend. By the intermediate hallways, I fearlessly gave advice to my friend who was earnestly searching for satisfaction through dating. Instead of being the "yes" girl, I chose to speak the truth and remind her not to make hasty decisions. Amidst people's questions and hate, I chose to stick by this friend during the good and bad times...because that's the true definition of loyalty. It is embracing the reality that all of us are far from perfect, but we choose to help one another along the journey. Friendship is not asking for good deeds, words and status, but a promise to be a phone call away.
  5. Where I discovered humility. Before I first went to this school, I had received Level 4s on my previous report card. I had been given multiple ribbons in track and field, selected as class representative and entered various clubs at my elementary school. I came to this new school with a huge ego, until reality struck me like a boulder. After receiving third place in my 85m heat, I remember crying because I realized that I was not the best at everything. In many skills, I was far from perfection and I should not be so easily satisfied. With humility, I slowly learned to strive for self-improvement.
Writing this blog post, it is hard to believe that one walk-through around the school could bring up so many parts of my journey. In four years, the school has made a profound imprint on how I see myself, others and the society. This place was my comfort zone and safe haven before I entered into the much bigger, scarier world. For the grade 8 who will be graduating this year, I vividly remember standing in your position. As I counted the number of days until graduation and the beginning of high school, I was living in fear of the unknown. However, I would like to remind you that this tiny world has taught you a lot more than you think. It has prepared you to take that next step.

~c.h.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review