soundtracks of my life (part 1)

As a commuter student, my music playlists have been a major part of my life. The lists have accompanied me during the rainy spring days, cool fall weather and the freezing months of winter. "K", "M", "^", "C" includes songs that have lifted my mood when I could not bear the stress of university and allowed me to reminisce about my younger days. In different languages, the soundtracks have been playing in the background through my good and bad days. Using the 30-day Song Challenge, I hope to share with you some of my favourite tunes.

DAY 1- A song you like with a colour in the title: Red from Taylor Swift's Red
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlot0i3Zykw
Since my grade 7 days, I have always been a Swiftie. Yes, my sister and I would use our hair combs as microphones and sing her songs in our bedroom. Aside from that hint of nostalgia, Taylor's songs are poetic and always so intricately written. Since her second album Fearless, she has always expanded the way I can communicate and think of love. In this song, she talks about that innocent love, one that changes the way you see the world and the one that you fight so hard to remember. My favourite lyric is of course from her famous bridges: Remembering him comes in flashbacks / And echoes / Tell myself it's time now / Gotta let go

DAY 2- A song you like with a number in the title: 2!3! from BTS' Wings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64RIKj0Il8
Music transcends language! 2!3! is BTS' first fan song and it remains to be one of my favourite songs from their fantastic, lengthy discography. This song is a tune that spreads hope and positive within today's generally stressful, competitive society. Although it has been several years since its release, BTS has remain true to this message, as they teach their fans to love themselves and leave their personas in search for their ego. After watching Bangbangcon this past weekend, I truly admire this K-pop boy group because they show that they are simply 7-regular young adult trying to navigate life and express themselves through their authentic music and meaningful lyrics.

DAY 3- A song that reminds you of summertime- Always Be There from Yancy's Deep Sea Discovery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LLYvTupI0
There are so many summer tunes to choose from! From Katy Perry's California Girls to Maroon 5's Locked Away, but nothing gives me summer vibes than Vacation Bible School songs. These are the songs that I teach kids from an entire week. "Always Be There" is particularly special because I taught this song so many times- in Kingston and Scarborough. As much as the children loved it, the song resonated with me because that summer, I was rejected from my first summer job interview. Although I ended up working in an unexpected environment, I learned to truly believe that God's plan was the best for me...as the song goes: Some days feel like a sinking ship / Waves crash and don't even make sense / But I trust with faith You'll / Walk on water for me. To be able to hear VBS campers sing that pre-chorus out loud, it was awesome hearing them proclaim the truth that God is always, always there...during the good and the bad.

DAY 4- A song that reminds you of someone from the past- Common Denominator from Justin Bieber's My World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQ0EjjwVmA
Talk about throwback songs! This song reminds me of my old elementary school crush. Honestly, he was somebody everyone had a crush on...and my friend Bonnie happened to introduce me to this song during that time. It's not an eventful story...no grade 8 dance story. no candygrams and all that jazz. My favourite (but ultra-cheesy) lyrics is: Just a fraction of your love fills the air / And I fall in love with you all over again

DAY 5- A song that needs to be played loud- Whistle from Blackpink's Square One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISNgvVpWlo
Whistle is Blackpink's debut single and it is such a catchy tune. It is a song that can truly brighten up my day. It is definitely not a song that can be played at minimum volume. Turn up the bass because "everything they show up, [they] blow up." The girl-crush YG is a global phenomenon and it was an absolute dream-come-true that I got to see them sing this song LIVE. Jennie, Rose, Jisoo and Lisa are the epitome of talent, professionalism, style and swag. Fingers crossed, I hope to buy their full album this year!!

DAY 6- A song that makes you want to dance- That's What I Like from Bruno Mars' 24K Magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMivT7MJ41M
I'm so glad this category is here because Bruno's funky songs fit so appropriate under this category. From Kpop stars to wedding guests, Bruno knows how to make the crowd groove and enjoy music. I've been following him since the beginning of his career and he is one talented man. The songwriter, producer, lyricist and performer has such a charisma to him. It is on my bucket list to get to see him in concert one day! My favourite lyric from the song: Gold jewelry shining so bright / Strawberry champagne on ice

DAY 7- A song to drive to- Getaway Car from Taylor Swift's Reputation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwzgfgw6zf4
It's a Taylor tune again! Getaway Car is from Taylor Swift's reputation CD. Although to many fans, it was a very different album...I believe it continued to showcase her sophisticated and witty use of language and her impeccable storytelling skills. My favourite lyric from the song: He was the best of times, the worst of crimes / I struck a match / And blew your mind, but I didn't mean it / And you didn't see it. As she tells the story of doomed lovers, it showcases her ability to create this beautiful melodic build-up. And she perfectly illustrate that one person you are infatuated with...the guy you know won't be your long-term boyfriend, but you choose to enter that relationship for that unexpected thrill.

DAY 8- A song about drugs or alcohol- Tik Tok from Ke$ha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs
When I saw my other friends doing this song challenge, Tik Tok was such an obvious choice. This was the tune during my grade 7 year. In junior high, people made parodies and lip-sync videos to this song. Ke$ha was a one-hit wonder, but I cannot think about my grade 7 year without thinking about this tune. Tiktok also reminds me of sweaty teenagers dancing like crazy in my elementary school gym.

DAY 9- A song that makes you happy- Everytime from Descendant of the Sun's OST [Chen x Punch]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTc5tuEn6_U
If you read my blogpost on the hallyu music, you would know that this song ushered me into the exciting world of K-pop! This song is part of my favourite OST (original soundtrack collection) of all time. Even though I had never really looked into the lyrics, the tune reminds me the sweet feeling of falling in love. From the fantastic television series Descendants of the Sun, this song is played as viewers meet the charming Yoo Si-Jin and intelligent Kang Mo-Yeon. Their super-romantic and over-the-top relationship is as ideal as the fusion of EXO Chen and Punch's voice.

DAY 10- A song that makes you sad- 很久之後 from G.E.M.'s 摩天動物園
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BEFukvLZfI
G.E.M. is my all-time favourite Cantonese and Mando-pop singer and her newest CD is a true indicator of her talent and power. As a singer, producer, lyricist and songwriter, she is capable of creating ever-new sounds, giving us fresh new ballads with that same feeling of heartache every single time. 很久之後  is one of her newer releases, as she documents the wandering mind. She asks whether she has truly let go of her past relationship. By picturing the encounter between her, her ex-lover and his new girlfriend, she asks whether she could give her blessing. My favourite lyric is from the bridge: 只是怕可能 以後愛別人 無法像愛你那麼深. The lyric translates to, "I am simply wonder whether when I fall in love again, I won't be able to fall as deeply in love." The rawness to this lyric is a legitimate feeling that all people who come out of relationships encounter...the feeling that you will never be able to completely fall in love again. With a beautiful string orchestra and powerful vocals, G.E.M. brings tears to my face as she sings about the struggle of loving again and leaving your past behind.

DAY 11- A song you never get tired of- What a Beautiful Name from Hillsong Worship's Let There Be Light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWFzMvCfLE
This worship song features my all-time favourite worship leader Brooke Ligertwood, who wrote the song! Brooke and the rest of team captures the beauty of the Gospel through this tune, as it proclaims that the name of Jesus is beautiful, wonderful and powerful. Jesus brings healing, grace and salvation. As a Grammy-winning song, this worship tune is an anthem, proclaiming that You have no rival / You have no equal / Now and forever God You reign / Yours is the Kingdom / Yours is the glory / Yours is the Name above all Names. I've sung this worship song at Urbana and it leaves a strong impression on my heart, as hundreds of people worship God with a united Spirit.

DAY 12- A song from your pre-teen years- 愛不久 from 林峯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlI_lg7JD34
I feel like I've listed many pre-teen song already, but this classic canto-song is an OST to a drama named "Moonlight Resonance." The tune behind the love story of a baker and doctor and intermix with some family drama is everyone's karaoke jam. It's got a memorable, captivating bass opening that gets every single time. My family lyrics are:放手 我的牽掛 找不到盡頭 / 放手 期望你幸福什麼都有. As the baker gives up this relationship so that she can marry another doctor, the classic Asian drama trope is linked to this song.

DAY 13- A song you like from the 90s- Hero from Mariah Carey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IA3ZvCkRkQ
Aside from being a fan of music from diverse cultures, I love listening to the divas: Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Christina, Beyonce, Adele. They are divas who are characterized by their impeccable voices, songwriter capacity, hauntingly beautiful ad-libs, wide voice register, excellent technique and ability to produce hit after hit. Hero is an example of a timeless song that allows us to identify the heroes in our lives/communities.

DAY 14- A song you'd love to be played at your wedding- Perfect from Ed Sheeran's Divide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vv-BfVoq4g
Surprise or no surprise? I'm a sucker for tear-jerking Ed Sheeran songs. Ed is a gifted musician who is able to create song after song that allows illustrate the emotions of love and beauty of romance. From Give Me Love to Photograph to Thinking Out Loud, Perfect is literally the perfect waltz that's meant to be danced in a dim ballroom and a beautiful orchestra. My favourite lyric is: I'm dancing in the dark, with you between / barefoot on the grass, listening to our favourite song. If you can't tell by now, I love music, and it would be awesome if my future bf and I could have our own playlist. 

DAY 15- A song you like that's a cover by another artist- Make You Feel My Love from Adele's 19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLoyNxjhTzc
Tied to another drama "Triumph In the Skies 2," Adele's beautiful voice connects with your soul, as she sings about the desperate desire to make your lover experience your affection. Her voice is literally an instrument that control the emotion and dynamics of the room. The imagery of this song is magnificent...when the evening shadows and the stars appear / and there is no one there to dry your tears / the storms are raging on the rolling sea / And on the highway of regret. Dylan's masterpiece work with Adele's full voice and powerful emotions = what a combination

stay tuned for the second half of the list!!
~cho

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review