soundtracks of my life (part 2)

What's up? I'm back again with the second half of my music selection. I hope this list inspires you to explore different languages and genres of music. Over the years, I have dabbled into many genres and have found that music is a universal language. It is a language that can somehow convey emotions and share a story.

DAY 16- A song that's a classic favourite- Halo from Beyonce's I Am...Sasha Fierce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVUHWCynig
The production and orchestration to Halo is absolutely stunning. I remember watching Beyonce sing THIS song during the Super Bowl halftime show and my jaw dropped. It showcases Beyonce's versatility, as a masterful ballad singer.

DAY 17- A song you'd sing a duet with someone on karaoke- Right Here Right Now from High School Musical 3: The Senior Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NI0uUl3lo 
You are reading a blog written by HSM fan! Right Here Right Now is my favourite Troy and Gabriella duet that takes me back to my childhood days. As they sing in the treehouse, it illustrates the simple high school love story...the desire to seize the moment and freeze time. Tomorrow can wait for some other day to be / But right now there's you and me. 

DAY 18- A song from the year you were born- As Long As You Love Me from Backstreet Boys' The Essentials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gl2QnHNpkA
Surprisingly, I was introduced to this song at camp when I started out as a counsellor. Who knew it would be as old as me?! Backstreet Boys holds a special place in my heart because my grade 9 drama class did choral speaking based on their lyrics. It definitely became one of the most memorable assignments I've had in high school.

DAY 19- A song that makes you think about life- Great Are You Lord from All Sons and Daughters' Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHz0w-HG4iU
With many worship songs, it is difficult for individual's to make sense of every word you are singing. Each time I sing Great Are You Lord, I am challenged to actively proclaim what I sing...to declare that I am living a life that does not belong to me, to declare that God is a God of hope and healing, to offer our utmost praise to God. When I sang this song at the Urbana Conference, I was reminded that every breath that I take, I am living for Him. As all of creation lifts their praise towards God, so will I.

DAY 20- A song that has many meanings to you- 女神 from 鄭欣宜
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJhct_HTu8
Joyce's mega canto hit came out during the toughest time in my life. If you read "growing up with acne," you will know that I struggled with self-confidence during my late high school and early university days. During the worse point in my acne journey, I would not look at myself in the mirror because of severe shame. I remember tearing up while watching the 女神 music video because one of the lyrics said: 不要低頭 光環會掉下∼來 / 你是女神 不要為俗眼 收斂色. These lyrics basically translate to: "Don't lower your head because your crown will fall, you are a goddess, don't let others conceal this truth." These words hit home during a time when I felt so shameful of my physical appearance. It became a reminder to be confident in who I really am. Nowadays, this song is a bookmark of that journey of learning how to love myself.

DAY 21- A song you like with a person's name in the title- Alexander Hamilton from Hamilton Original Broadway Soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhinPd5RRJw
I was never a huge fan of musical (aside from HSM) until I stumbled upon Lin Manuel Miranda's Hamilton, a perfect masterpiece. It shows that music and lyrics has an ability to be interwoven together to create a story. The repeating musical motifs, rhymes and intricate word choice bring excitement and pleasure to the story of the American Revolution. The first song sets the precedent to a 3-hr long musical that is told through witty lyrics and complex characters. There is no such thing as a favourite line because the song must be consumed as a whole! Aside from the first song, I also love The Schuyler Sister, Satisfied and Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tell Your Story.

DAY 22- A song that moves you forward- Euphoria from BTS' Love Yourself: Answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqX55Oim68
To me, moving forward = a tune that give you a dose of joy that keeps you going. Jungkook's Love Yourself solo gives me that airy and energizing feeling. The tune brings a smile to my face and it is an absolute honour that I got to listen to it live. Just as he sang and flew in the air during BTS' stadium tour, this song gives me that same vibe!

DAY 23- A song that you think everybody should listen to- Blueming from IU's Love Poem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PvIWdJ8xo
Blackpink's Whistle, BTS' Euphoria and IU's Blueming are my "go-to" songs on my driving playlist. Blueming is a witty song that compares blooming flowers to a blooming relationship that springs through blue text messages. It is an example of a pop song that you cannot help but fall in love with! As a new IU fan, I am not too familiar with her discography, but she has the capacity to

DAY 24- A song by a band you wish were still together- Gotta Be You from One Direction's Up All Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfejaHz-o0
I cannot talk about the soundtracks of my life without mentioning about One Direction, a group that I had rooted for since their X-Factor days. I still remember blasting their songs during my all-girls gym class and dancing around with badminton rackets. The iconic synth intro is followed by these lyrics: Girl I see it in your eyes you're disappointed / 'Cause I'm the foolish one that you anointed with your heart. It's absolutely crazy how I see remember the lyrics after SO many years.

DAY 25- A song you like by an artist no longer living- The Scientist from Glee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yuMK_fRW4
I was never a huge fan of Glee, but they definitely had a few iconic covers. Out of all Cory Monteith's songs, this one is one of my favourites. I still remember when my best friend told me he had passed away...and I was literally in shock the ENTIRE Sunday. Rest in peace.

DAY 26- A song that makes you want to fall in love- Love Story from Taylor Swift's Fearless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xg3vE8Ie_E
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring / And said marry me Juliet / You'll never have to be alone / I love you and that's all I really know. This iconic song is Taylor's re-imagination of Shakespeare's tragedy, as she reverts the ending and brings us the ideal fairytale ending. Just like every girl, this tune makes me dream of the day I fall deeply in love with the man of my dreams. In a world of chaos and darkness, we will be able to create our fairy tale moments...where we can say that we love each other and that's all we really know. As a dreamer, Taylor is a brilliant songwriter that allows her fans to dream about love. This song was the iconic tune that ushered me her amazing catalogue.

DAY 27- A song that breaks your heart- 痛醒 from 許廷鏗
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40sHdWSgZI
As someone who meticulously organizes my spotify playlists, I never go on shuffle...hence, Alfred's 痛醒 is always the first song on my Cantonese playlist. This song is about the realization that your partner has fallen out of love....the feeling of helpless and awaking due to pain of heartbreak. In times where I do not completely comprehend lyrics, artists like Alfred have been able to express such emotions of loss and heart-wrenching pain.

DAY 28- A song by an artist whose voice you love- 多遠都要在一起 from G.E.M.'s 新的心跳
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ksLn6hZ7Q
G.E.M.- she is such a talented human artist! I have raved about her talent in my previous blog post, but I can't help listing another one of her tunes. "Long distance" speaks about the desire to walk with someone forever. The ballad has been on my playlist since it was released and has never left. Here are some of my favourite lyrics: 想聽 你聽過的音樂 / 想看 你看過的小說 / 我想收集每一刻 / 我想看到 你眼裡的世界, which translates to "I want to listen to the music you've listen to, I want to read the novels you've read, I want to capture this moment and see the world from your perspective." The brilliant lyrics illustrates the desperate desire to capture every moment before time runs out, relationships fade and things change. Just like 痛醒, this song has definitely made me shed a tear.

DAY 29- A song you remember from your childhood- Wake Up from Hilary Duff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OguSuFENucg
This song is an important part of my grade 4 recess days, where my friends would create gymnastic routines to this song. We wore our little camis and rehearsed the song everyday. My friend Hayley would bring makeup (blush, eyeshadow, lipstick) and we would pretend to be performer. Although I am pretty sure I sweat all that makeup off before recess ended, the tune reminds me of the days when I had a limitless capacity to imagine. I was a naive child whose world consisted of my school and home. I believed that I could be anything I wanted to be, say what I wanted to say and be accepted. Although life has become more complex, I admire younger Cynthia for being a ball of energy and hope.

DAY 30- A song that reminds you of yourself- ???
I think choosing songs for this "soundtrack of my life" blog has been quite easy...until I've reached this point! I am not exactly sure what this song should be- Canto, Mando, Korean, English? I'll update it when I have the answer.

hopefully, this inspires you to let music continue to play a pivotal role in your life,
~cho

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review