sparks

     In a Lifeway Research study, it states that "two-thirds of those who attended church regularly for at least a year as a teenager say they also dropped out for at least a year as a young adult." As a former youth mentor, I often avoid reading these studies as these articles leave me with a long mental panorama of childhood friends and youths I have personally journeyed with who have decided to leave the church. Over the years, I cannot help but affirm these statistics...these research studies do align with the ministry attendance records as many choose to dedicate their lives to building a promising career, solid friend-network, and establish their own definition of freedom. 
     As a church servant and their former youth mentor, I am often conflicted when Christmas and reading weeks come along. I ask myself, "should I really message these youths/friends?" "do they care about these church friendships that they have built during their junior/high school years?" Year after year, I have learned to shamelessly message them about Christmas reunions and forward occasional invitations about church events. Often ghosted by many or being told politely that they are busy, I can't help but feel like an old, broken radio in the corner of their childhood home that will occasionally make some unexpected noise. While happily hosting church reunions with the ones who have returned, my co-mentors and I would quietly count those we have "lost" over the years. Unable to truly understand why they chose to leave their identity as son/daughter of God and see the immense peace/joy that comes with following Jesus, I have begun sending those messages with little thought and even little care. I cannot help but think, "what is the point of releasing small sparks in a dark tunnel?"
     However, today, my co-mentor forwarded me a screenshot from a former youth. It was three paragraphs long outlining her decision to re-dedicate her life to God. After years of seeking satisfaction, happiness and control, she has come to the foot of the cross knowing that only God can satisfy. Reading her message warmed my heart because it reminded me of God's power to change lives and bring people back to Him time and time again. I truly believe that my co-mentor and I's "how are you" messages and event invitations carried a spark of love/care that ultimately comes from the Lord. Perhaps these sparks in the darkness are meaningful before it served as the prelude to the firework show which is the Gospel. 
Aside from praying for this precious soul, I think this screenshot serves as a reminder to never stop caring for the ones who have walked away. Yes, the "caring/invitation" list will only get longer and longer, but these sparks of love are important because it works alongside God's plan to bring people (back) to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review