grief

I have always thought that when people pass away, their family spend months after their death grieving over their lost family member and will continue to live with that "hollow space" in your heart. However, this first night in Hong Kong has surprisingly given me a chance to grieve about something that seemed to have passed so long ago. I am talking about the death of my grandfather, a hardworking and committed man, who raised up my mom and her six siblings.
Because I have only seen him for several weeks every now and then, many would say that our relationship wouldn't be extremely close. In fact, we rarely had to the chance to sit down or have a serious conversation. However, coming back to HK in 2016, a few years after his passing, I have suddenly noticed the hollow space that he once occupied in my life. Last night, amidst my jet lag, I remembered that morning 7 years ago, when all the Ho siblings were jetlagged at 4:30am. He came out of his bedroom sincerely asking if we were fine. To me, this was a gesture of love that he cared for our well-being. That same day, he took us out at 6:00 am to a nearby sports arena to do morning exercises. My siblings and I ran off into the track field to run laps while he did his tai-chi with his buddies. Along with my dad, we later went to grab dim sum for breakfast. Although it all seemed to be a typical day, it was memorable and special because this became one of my last memories with him.
All of a sudden, I miss him so much! All of a sudden, I wished I could give him a BIG hug.
I know that in my heart, your gestures of love and kindness to my mother, cousins, father and siblings will be deeply engraved for eternity.
...maybe grief does come in many different forms and ways,
             rest in peace grandpa Yau
~cho

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review