my hero

In those cliché English classes, teachers always make their students write about their hero. I’ve never gotten a chance to write one as a kid, but as Valentine’s Day draws near, I would love to take some time to reflect and admire the love my hero has expressed to me over the past 18 years of my life.
My hero is my grandmother, also a sister-in-Christ. I was the only grandchild she personally took care of, and the only one that shares a unique, but yet intimate connection with. To an outsider, she is generous, strict and confident, but to me, she is a prayer warrior. As an uneducated immigrant from China, she co-owned a tailor shop with my grandfather. She has never been to school and does not how to speak eloquently. But she is my bright star because of her love of talking to the Lord. Thanksgiving, Confession, Adoration or Supplication…she is my role model because she remembers Him every single day. Every week, my grandmother tells me her long prayer list, with things such as our (grandchildren) education, for my health, for her non-believer friends, for my family, for our vacations and for our jobs. Though she has Parkinson’s disease and deteriorating memory, she seems to have just enough brain space to remember all the things she needs to tell God. Though she might not always know the correct words to say, she truly tries her best and gives all her time to supplicate for her fellow neighbours.
Though I do not know how much longer she will be on earth for, this strong woman’s inspires me daily to be a better prayer warrior for others. She pronounces her faith with confidence and assurance… this makes me happy knowing that such joy can be found in a person who struggles in sickness every single day. My grandmother is my ultimate role model (insert happy tears) and I know that no matter what situation I am in, she will pray, cry and laugh with this granddaughter of hers.
                Mama, you are my hero.
~cho


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

failure

slice of life: hospital playlist review

real faces and happy endings: it's okay to not be okay review